QUTgo was a project that was led by myself with three others working on it throughout 2018. The application had the goal of encouraging exercise on the QUT Garden’s Point campus, and fortunately we had a starting point with previous builds having already been built by previous teams. Our role was to take the program and improve both the functionality and aesthetics.
Specifics about the project won’t be outlined here, as the concept and future rights to the app still belongs to QUT. However, this article will briefly cover what I contributed to the project.
Throughout the entire project, I was the lead of the group. It was difficult keeping communication going between four team members, although despite occasional setbacks we did put together a well-graded project in the end.
Work on QUTgo involved a front-end Android application and a back-end database with PHP commands. A majority of my contributions were to the front-end app. Android Studio was difficult to learn for the first few months, but these challenges were overcome with time and practice. I prepared weekly builds to showcase improvements and bug fixes.
Demo Film & Other Assets
In the second half of development, I used Adobe Illustrator to create new image assets for the program. These files were passed on to a potential future team along with the codebase, so that future graphics would remain consistent. I did this because I thought a lot about the end-user experience for QUTgo.
In the final weeks, Adobe Premiere Pro was used to prepare a demonstration of the app. I’d had previous experience throughout university with the application, and enjoyed the process of editing the video. It can be seen below.
Alongside the demo video, we needed to submit a full report with comprehensive appendices. For around two weeks, the team put together a document with their contributions as I added my own inputs and proofread sections. I aim to give detail in what I submit, and format documents well.
QUTgo was the most involved project I’ve ever worked on, having taken most of a year to complete. The experience taught me many things about communication, coding, keeping consistent reports of progress, and patience with learning new skills. I wish nothing but the best of luck to the next team who picks up this project, and hope it will come out to the open market one day.